With all the “Stay-At-Home” orders due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, many have found themselves saying, “I have loads of time, but can’t get anything done!” So, I rewrote some of my time management tips with adjustments for our current situation.
7 Time Management Tips: Coronavirus “Stay-At-Home” Edition
by Dr. Michael Dean “ClarinetMike”
1. I Got Rhythm! Work hard to have good sleep/wake habits, i.e. “rhythm.” The endless “Spring Break” can really throw us off. [We need to work on Rhythm Changes!]
2. Mom is Right! Exercise/Eat Right/Sleep 7-8 hours every night. “Every hour of sleep before midnight counts as two” is a good old rule to follow.
3. Goal! Do some goal-setting. One or two things actually accomplished is better than ten things not done.
4. Get a Plan, Man! Get some kind of plan and DO IT! I have found that having a plan and following it (even if it’s a so-so plan) results in great success.
5. Just Do It! Be disciplined. The more you are disciplined, the more disciplined you will
6. Phone NO! Practice/study/work without interruptions as much as possible. Don’t look at that phone! Turn it off.
7. Hey, How’s It Going? Handle texts, email, Facebook messages, regular mail, etc. only once. Read/act on it now or later (not both!). However, ALL messages should be answered within 24 hours.
ClarinetMike says, “Get off Facebook, Go Practice.”
The above is a modified version of information from my article, “Basic Time Management” © by The National Association of College Wind and Percussion Instructors NACWPI Journal, Vol. XLVI, No. 3, spring 1998. Thanks to NACWPI for kind permission.