The days between Thanksgiving and Christmas are often a super busy time for musicians (and everyone!). Therefore, I offer the following 10 Time Management Tips – with a few NEW updates – from an article I published in the NACWPI Journal (citation below).
10 Time Management Tips by Dr. Michael Dean “ClarinetMike”
1. Handle mail only once. Read it now or read it later (not both!). Emails should be answered within 24 hours. Extra Teacher Tip: If you use your school’s email, make sure that your school’s email storage has not reached its limit. NEW: These rules also now apply to texts!
2. Practice/study/work where you cannot be interrupted by the phone. If possible, turn off your cell phone. NEW: Don’t look at that phone!
3. Learn how to quickly (and courteously) get rid of unexpected visitors when they drop by your practice room or office to just “chat.”
4. Always strive to improve your time management skills: Google it, read a book, attend a lecture, etc.
5. Exercise/Eat Right/Sleep 7-8 hours every night. “Every hour of sleep before midnight counts as two” is a good old rule to follow.
6. Recruit help. You do not have to do every chore yourself.
7. Carefully consider goals and goal-setting. Remember the Chinese proverb: “A journey of
a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
8. Just do it! Be disciplined. The more you are disciplined, the more disciplined you will
9. Failure: If you fall down, don’t just lie there and complain. LEARN, get up, and keep going. Remember the words of John Wooden, “Don’t whine, complain or make excuses – just do the best you can.” NEW: John Wooden also said, “Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.”
10. Television and the Internet are your enemies (at least as far as time is concerned). Now, a new enemy is here: the SMARTPHONE. [NO! You don’t have to check Twitter on your iPhone every few minutes to see if your college football team has a new offensive coordinator….]
ClarinetMike says, “Re-read these tips and then put down your iPhone and get back to work!”
Original Article © by The National Association of College Wind and Percussion Instructors NACWPI Journal, Vol. XLVI, No. 3, spring 1998. Thanks to NACWPI for kind permission.