Hey! I just returned from performing and teaching in Italy, so….Here We Go! Today, the official 2019-2020 audition materials for the Texas TMEA All-State Band were posted online. BELOW I have posted screenshots from the official TMEA.org website of the audition materials for soprano and low clarinets. I’ve already started to break down the audition music for private lessons, clinics and such. Here’s 5 all-state practice tips to help get you started. [NOTE: below these tips are the screenshots of the official all-state materials.]
ClarinetMike’s 5 All-State Practice Tips To Get You Started
by Dr. Michael Dean “ClarinetMike”
1. Practice Routine. Prepare the all-state materials as part of a balanced practice routine that includes work on basics, scales, and sight-reading. My practice routine is available here.
2. LOOK! Look over the etude before just diving in. A little analysis can be very helpful.
3. Go Slow. Start by working on the first few measures or first line. Go slowly and learn the rhythm, notes, and dynamics correctly the first time and every time. Load correct information as much as possible.
4. TONE! Make sure you always practice with excellent posture and great tone-this means you must take the time to have good reeds!
5. Take Lessons. Take private lessons with a good clarinet teacher or if one is not available in your area, at least read this blog. I will post more helps on the all-state etudes on my ClarinetMike Blog in coming weeks.
ClarinetMike says, “Follow the tips above.”