Summertime and the livin’ is easy…. I love summer! When I’m wearing shorts, I’m always in a good mood! Below is a follow-up on my recent post, 7 Ways to Upgrade Your Clarinet Playing This Summer!.
ClarinetMike’s 10 Great Clarinet Things To Do On Summer Break!
- Work on the improvements/adjustments in your clarinet technique that your teacher emphasized last semester (embouchure, tonguing, etc.) (See my related recent post.)
- Study an orchestra or band work you don’t know (or a solo, chamber work, etc.)
- Work on Etudes, Sight Reading and Transposition.
- Go to ClarinetFest 2017 or a concert – when was the last time you went to a LIVE concert just to enjoy the music?
- Clean out your clarinet case! Take clarinets to the repair shop.
- Organize your office and/or practice space!
- Contact an older musician – especially a retired private teacher or band director. Go have lunch with him/her.
- Watch old movies (check out TCM) and listen to the music. Learn about the composers. Some of them have written solo music for the clarinet!
- Work on Jazz or a style that is new to you. If you don’t know anything about jazz, now is the time to learn – yes, right now!
- Most importantly, take some time off and NOT think about the clarinet – attend a religious or philosophical meeting, get some exercise, read a good book, go to a baseball game, become a volunteer in an organization that helps people, etc.
ClarinetMike says, “Have a great summer!”
NOTE: Above is a slightly modified version of a previous post.