ClarinetMike’s Performing Checklist
Below is a checklist I’ve developed over a number of years of giving recitals, clinics, master classes, presentations, etc. Every performance, clinic, audition, etc. is different, so focus on the ones below that apply to you.
- Confident and Organized. Be organized in preparation and confident in performance.
- Morning Performances – Get up extra early. (Go to bed early the night before.)
- Mentally walk through performing day and concert (or audition, etc.)
- Check weather and dress appropriately. Take trench coat, umbrella, etc.
- Careful clothes selection and grooming. This will help even in a blind audition!
- Eat good food – especially protein.
- Take extra set of music.
- Have a short bio handy for any introductions.
- Carefully prepare all talking during concert. Fit comments to audience. Keep it simple.
- Leave and arrive early. Check traffic on Google Maps.
- Have good directions to venue (map or GPS). Know precisely where the building is.
- Plan for parking at venue. Budget extra time.
- Know where you can warm up at venue – on stage is best.
- Have concert recorded if possible: video is best! Check week’s before and upon arrival.
- 2 water bottles and 2 clarinet pegs. One for on stage and one for off stage/green room.
- Get on stage or in room for sound check before concert – a day early would be best.
- At sound check, carefully check balance between piano or CD, etc. Recruit a helper.
- Make sure tech person is at sound check.
- Be very clear with stage crew/usher on stage set (good stands!), hall opening time, etc.
- Make sure page turner is set!!! Have a backup plan.
- Make sure programs/handouts are out. Take extra ones in case someone forgets.
- No negative comments or looks – stay upbeat, even if feeling bad.
- Take extra business cards for meet and greet after recital.
- Follow up soon after concert with emails to hosts and other VIP’s you meet.
- Reflection. What did I learn today?
ClarinetMike says, “Plan well and perform with confidence!”